[pyrnet] Insurance

I'm not an expert on insurance, but I've had good experiences both times I've
had to use it. The first insurance policy I had was from a company called
MediPet which was part of Fireman's Fund Insurance. My first Pyr, Tuckerman,
almost died of aspiration pneumonia (barking with his mouth full). He ended
up at Angell Memorial Hospital in Boston and after various tests and
medications, ran up quite a bill. The insurance paid about half of it when
all was said and done. There was paperwork to fill out, but they never
questioned the validity of the claim.

Fireman's Fund discontinued Medipet, so I took out a policy for Tuck under
Veterinary Pet Insurance. It was more expensive than Medipet, but was the
only one I could find and I was determined that I never wanted to be in a
position where, in a serious situation, my choices were limited by high
costs. Anyway, in his tenth year, Tuck developed cancer in the urinary tract.
Once again, we found ourselves at Angell for extensive diagnostic testing in
order to find out what was wrong in the first place and treat it in the
second. Altogether, these bills were even higher than the pneumonia ones. As
in the first case, the insurance company came through without making it
difficult for me. They probably ended up covering 2/3 of the total cost.

I have Veterinary Pet Insurance for the current lord of the manor, Bridger.
This time I added well-visit care (covers things like heartworm meds,
Frontline, vaccinations, spay-neuter, etc) and expanded cancer coverage. I
think there are limitations/exclusions for congenital conditions, but for
accidents and diseases like pneumonia or cancer, I definitely think it's
worth it. I realize, however, that I have an <Only > dog. The considerations
may be very different for households with multiple dogs.

Lyn and Bridger

P.S. For any listers in the New England area, I would recommend Angell
Memorial for any serious health situation for your animals (they even took
care of a parrot for me one time) - especially situations calling for
diagnosing a puzzling condition.