[pyrnet] Re: Rabies

Again, I have more experience with cats.  In the cat world, many of the
vaccines are falling out of favor.  Either because many vets do not think
that they work or because the cat's initial reaction to them is worse than
the disease.  That is, the cat catches a supposedly weak case of the illness
that you are vaccinating against that is not so weak. This has happened to
my cats.  I have also had a cat that developed cancer at the site of the
injection.  Thus cat vets are giving each type of shot in a different
location on cats in an effort to identify which shot is causing the cancer
tumors.  So instead of accepting with faith, believing that I am doing the
right thing, I now question vet medicine.  (Like Cindy recommended.) But I
am not trained as a vet, so sometimes I really just don't know what to do.

The scoop on rabies vaccines in Texas is that most vets use a three year
shot, but all (or most of) the counties/cities in Texas require an annual
rabies shot to get a county/city tag.  Thus the dogs and cats are exposed to
much more vaccine than is necessary.  There are a number of reasons why this
is dangerous to their health, but I don't understand well enough to explain
it.

Sandy
Texas Gulf Coast