Re: [pyrnet] Dwarfism

----- Original Message -----
From: Carol Brescher <carol@pyr.uniflex.net>

I believe that if you think that this problem will resolve itself,
you are part of the problem. I couldn't agree with Joe more
on this. A conscious across the board effort must be made to
help identify and contain (if we cannot eradicate) this problem.
Honesty is needed all around and the sooner the better.>>

And, so??  Clearly the health committee and through us the GPCA does not
think that the problem will resolve itself.  9 years of work on it should
demonstrate that.  As the co-chair of the health committee I ask you and
Joe and anyone else for concrete suggestions.  What would you propose for a
"conscious across the board effort" to "identify and contain" the problem?
Here's a suggestion.  We publish in the GPCA Bulletin the name of every
*known* dwarf carrier on record with the health committee.  Well, try
floating that balloon.  Unfortunately, all work in health and genetics is a
balancing act among competing needs and competing concerns.  Unless you've
been in the hot seat it's easy to "criticize".

And I really want to say very loudly and clearly that there is a tremendous
amount of honesty out there on the part of many breeders who have taken
seriously large risks for the benefit of the breed.  They (from my point of
view) cannot be given enough praise or support.  We find it easy to say
"everybody conceals".  We find it much harder to give praise and support
where it is due.

<<However breeders will hide their genetically defective canine
issue from public view. Even worse, they keep this information from
those who purchase their dogs with intent to breed or from someone
using their dog for stud, i.e., someone with a need to know. >>

I have no basic argument with the fact that this is done by breeders.
However, it is only done by *some* breeders and I think that that modifier
needs to go before the word.  I know many, many completely honest breeders
who conceal nothing and do their best to share what information they have
with not only buyers and wanna-be breeders but with long established
breeders with similar dogs and lines.

Some breeders have given the whole group a bad rep and it is so easy to
dump on breeders as the source of all "evil" in the breed.  But I think
that this is, in the long run, destructive to the whole breed.

Linda Weisser