[pyrnet] Dwarfism

From: JGentzel@aol.com
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] Dwarfism

 We created them, denied and
ignored them for much too long, and now we must care for them, but the
emphasis must be on not breeding any more of them.  The goal must be, lets
stop it here.  To legitimize their competition at any level while it may be
sympathetic and compassionate to the individual dog, it could send the wrong
message about their desirability and actually promote them.

Amen! I have been following this thread with much interest. I "dropped out" of
the dog world in the early 80s, and when I returned in the mid 90's I found
the problems that we experienced then as being worse today. Dwarfism
is one of the problems in the breed that was being "discussed" then. Quietly,
privately. But because no one wanted to point fingers or take a stand
we have genes that probably permeate a major part of our breed today.

I believe that if you think that this problem will resolve itself,
you are part of the problem. I couldn't agree with Joe more
on this. A conscious across the board effort must be made to
help identify and contain (if we cannot eradicate) this problem.
Honesty is needed all around and the sooner the better.

I have always found this side of human nature amusing.
Parents will hold up a (is there a politically correct term
for this?) genetically impaired offspring looking for financial help
or to start research on their disease. I do not have a problem with
this.

However breeders will hide their genetically defective canine
issue from public view. Even worse, they keep this information from
those who purchase their dogs with intent to breed or from someone
using their dog for stud, i.e., someone with a need to know. I do
have a real big problem with this and see this as a major obstacle
in containing this or any other genetic problem.

BTW, this is not a case of intellectual cynicism. I wish it were.

Regards,

Carol
carol@naturaldogfood.com