[pyrnet] Re: Dog Breath

Carol and all...
I use the Hill's Science Diet t/d food as treats to help
with breath.  It is like their maintenance diet, which I
choose not to feed my dogs for their actual food, but it
is good for treats.  It is "puffed up" a bit, more
porous in the kibble bits, and it is large, about an
inch in diameter.  It is hard and crunchy, but doesn't
crumble when they bite into it, like regular dry food.
They have to crunch into it several times before it
crumbles, causing a scrubbing action on the teeth.
Gulliver came to us with a lot of tartar on the back
teeth, so we're putting three pieces in his meals twice
a day, and he gets one for a bedtime treat.  It won't
probably eliminate a lot of built up tartar, but it will
remove some, and it will prevent new tartar and plaque
from accumulating.  Also good for getting rid of "poop
breath" from our yard-snackers, too.

Plus, of course, there are the doggie toothpastes, which
even come in mint, and I usually put those in the ridges
of a Dental Kong for general cleaning.

Just be aware that bad breath can also indicate another
health problem.  You can smell ketones?  That is an
actual physiological ability.  Some people can smell
that odor, and others can't.  I can't.  It could also
mean something like a stick stuck in the mouth (oddly,
my Sprocket had this, and we never had a clue!  No bad
breath, no stopping eating, no pain... our first clue
was when he got an abscess and his face swelled!), or
even a bit of some object stuck in between the teeth.

Good luck!

Lori

--
Ripley's Retrieve-It-Or-Not