Re: [pyrnet] GPCA

Robyn,
   One of the problems with an open membership for anyone interested is that the
Great Pyrenees Club of America is the body that is responsible for the AKC breed
standard.  Any changes made to that document have to be voted on by the GPCA
membership.  Any other AKC decision about our breed go throught the GPCA (i.e.
the GPCA decides which colors should be designated on the registration forms).
It seems to me that the thinking of those Board members in  favor of  stringent
membership requirements is that the people who are going to be asked to vote on
these things need to be informed.  The regional clubs are where new owners can
learn about the breed and have "hands-on" training.  From that stage they
graduate (and are sponsored by mentors they have met along the way) to full GPCA
membership.  I believe that the Board is currently considering some sort of
associate membership which would be  open to all and would have all the benefits
of membership without being able to vote.  After some sort of time frame they
could apply for voting membership and their names would be published for
appoval.  Robyn, the reason for names being published is that, although there
have not been a lot of protests, there have been some very valid cases of people
who ran puppy mills or abused their animals.
Charlotte (I did vote for more open membership policies back when I was on the
Board!).