Re: [pyrnet] Dwarfism--Facts and gossip

IMO the biggest problem that breeders have is the gossip. When
they are honest and open about something such as producing
dwarfs, basically, their bloodlines and their reputation get
trashed. Certainly not by everyone, but generally those doing the
trashing can sure be the loudest and most outspoken. I am by no
means what I would consider as well versed on the subject of
dwarfism. I'd like to learn much more. I'd like honesty to abound
amongst breeders. I'd also like those who are open and honest to
be applauded no matter what the health problem may be that they
are admitting to having. Don't ask for much, do I? ;-) Certainly
Ubu was never hidden, and Ewok, I believe made an appearance at a
National, so he was not hidden, either. There have been others
who trotted out their dwarfs for the world to see. I have been
told of dwarfs that were so deformed that they had to be
euthanized, so there is certainly that end of the spectrum also.
Ubu was not grossly deformed and may very well have lived longer
if circumstances in his life had not changed through no fault of
his own. I too would like to see a list of known carriers
published, but without the permission of the breeders, this would
most certainly be a legal nightmare. I DO believe that the
climate is changing and I think we are most certainly moving
towards more honesty and openness. For this I am grateful as it
will most certainly impact the breed as a whole in a positive
manner down the road. The more we talk about it and the more we
learn, the closer we come to making a real difference and in
certainly reducing the numbers of dwarfs produced. (the same goes
for any other health problem that is of concern).

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs) & Flopsy (Pyr Shep)
bamb@monmouth.com