[pyrnet] Dwarfism

Interesting reading everyone's thought on dwarfism, and it's potential threat
to the breed.

I admit to having some doubt about it being a simple recessive, although I
certainly hope for our breed's sake it is.  If we are dealing with a simple
recessive, and if we can create an environment where folks could just feel
comfortable casually divulging the information on known carriers as plain and
simple data to anyone who might have a need to know, we can pretty easily
work around this problem on a population level, IMO.

I seriously doubt we will ever totally eliminate it, so I have put that
thought out of my mind.  I tend to think in terms of how can we control it,
how can we potentially (slowly if necessary) reduce the frequency of
affecteds and the carrier rate. Dwarfism just doesn't get me too worked up.
I've found it easy enough to avoid and I think there are much worse things
one could produce in a breeding program.

When I first got involved in this breed, began to build my foundation and
plan a breeding program, the lines that I chose to work with were rumored to
be "dwarf lines".  The way I heard things, based on my pedigrees, I could
have expected to get dwarfs in every litter.  But guess what?  I did not.  In
a total of 15 litters bred or co-bred over the past 10+ years, intensely
linebred on pedigrees rumored to be littered with dwarf carriers, we've seen
one unofficial dwarf.  One, out of all those puppies.  I say "unofficial"
dwarf because in her case, radiographs did not confirm the diagnosis, but I
consider her to be a dwarf based on her size and proportions.  She is ~30-35
pounds, ~12-13 inches at the shoulder.  While she is out of proportion, legs
to body, head, and tail, she does not have twisted or bowed limbs, at least
according to her owner/co-breeder.  She is a healthy happy dog, but her owner
describes her as "hard of hearing".  That is the only health issue she has,
aside from her abnormal, small stature. I'm not saying I take this lightly,
nor that I think it's okay, just that in my opinion there are worse things to
worry about, in addition to worrying about dwarfism. If anyone wants the
pedigree, email me privately and I will give it to you, but keep in mind, she
was not officially diagnosed as a dwarf.

I feel quite confident that I can pretty effectively and responsibly deal
with dwarfism, even without throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  Now,
if you want to talk epilepsy, that gets me pretty concerned and worked up.
I'll take a dwarf over a cluster-seizuring dog any day of the week.  In at
least two breeds I am aware of, Belgian Shepherds and Miniature Schnauzers,
the mode of inheritance of epilepsy is believed to be a polygenic (multiple
gene) threshold model, also environmentally mediated.  IOW, a multifactorial
mode of inheritance, which in my mind are THE MOST DIFFICULT types of genetic
health defects to control.  There is plenty of reason (to my way of thinking)
to believe this is the case in other breeds with epilepsy as well.

In Belgian Shepherds, the rate of affected with epilepsy is in the 15-18%
range.  Considering the fact our researchers in Belgian Shepherds (allegedly
close to having a linked-marker test) hypothesize a three-gene threshold
model, I can only imagine what our "carrier" rate is. ("Carrier" is actually
a misnomer in this scenario.)  It is entirely probable that a good 90+% of
all Belgian Shepherds are capable of producing epilepsy when bred to the
"wrong" mate.  THAT worries me.  I really do not want to see Great Pyrenees
go there.

Here we sit on the dwarfism thing, basically having only pedigree risk
analysis to go by at this point (which I find pretty effective, personally)
waiting for a possible linked marker test, which could be years down the road
IF it happens at all, when we could quite possibly be making great inroads in
reducing the frequency of dwarfism in the breed simply by sharing data.  If
folks could just feel more free to casually share and exchange data publicly
without fear of recrimination, I believe it would go a long way.  Many of us
already do this, privately, which is why we probably feel we have a decent
handle on the dwarfism thing.  But, I feel somehow it needs to go beyond the
private need to know basis, because obviously the necessary data isn't always
filtering it's way down to ALL who have a need to know.

Suggesting or even thinking that all or even most *potential* carriers of
dwarfism (those descended from known carriers, but whose status with regard
to being a carrier themselves is unknown) should be eliminated from the gene
pool is foolhardy, IMVHO.  Consider this:  If there truly was some push or
broadly embraced recommendation to dramatically reduce or eliminate
*potential* dwarf carriers from the gene pool, and the masses heeded that
call, you'd better believe we would see a rapid and perhaps gravely
concerning and dramatic increase in any number of other equally or MORE
concerning and debilitating health defects that are much harder to control.
Take your pick: hip dysplasia, patellar luxation, epilepsy, and undoubtedly a
few more.

To me, dwarfism at this point in time seems comparatively easy to avoid and
control.  Let's not lose sight of that fact and forget about some of these
other issues that also are a threat to our breed.

Kelley Hoffman
kshoffman@aol.com