Re: [pyrnet] Pyrs vs Leonbergers? (long)

I have good friends with a Leo, 2 Pyrs & 2 mixed breed girls.  Their Leo is
VERY lively!!!  I dog sit for them & groom their dogs for them when they
need help.  The Leo is the biggest challenge for the grooming - but I would
say that it has more to do with the training (or lack of it).

We recently had a "Leo training camp/convention" not too far from where we
live and there were Leo's from all over (even someone from Texas came).  I
am not sure of the total numbers of Leo's that attended, I don't think that
it was more than 20.  I did not attend, but my friends attended with their
Leo.  They observed a WIDE variety of temperaments and types.  Their Leo,
"Anke", was the most friendly out of all the Leos there.  Anke's temperament
is very Golden like - in many ways.  Like I said she is VERY lively, active
& busy -- definitely a "in your face dog".  The challenge with the activity
level is that she is BIG (a good 29 inches minimum).  So they have nick
named her "Bash" -- I will let you figure that out <BG>!

Some major differences that I see with her compared to Pyrs (keep in mind
this is only my personal experience & I only know one Leo)...

Coat - very different, soft & fine, much like a golden - especially the
undercoat.  Gets everywhere when you blow dry them!  It seems pretty easy to
care for, if you know how keep a Pyr's coat in shape, you will not have
problems with a Leo's coat.

Energy level - Very active!  Very busy!

Off lead - They can let her off lead and she comes when called and does not
go far.  This is not a well trained dog...that is just how she is...

This Leo "hunts" (or maybe she is just entertaining herself) in the back
yard.  She will go for anything that she can catch, like moles, birds,
tc.  - she even dropped off a dead possum her mom & dads bedroom in the
middle of the night once.  Anke's mom was not too happy about that one -
especially when she stepped on the present in the dark with her bare feet -
YUCK!  They started closing the dog door at night after that.  Although she
is interested in catching critters, her drive is certainly not terrier like.

I don't think that Anke has the guarding instinct that Pyrs do either.  She
welcomes EVERYONE with LIVELY enthusiasm - she may even let them leave with
all of the furniture, they would not even have to say "please" ;-)

From the pictures that I saw from the "Leo Camp", there seemed to be a lot
of variety in type, size and structural quality.  As I mentioned my friends
ran into many different temperaments (aloof, shy, somewhat friendly, dog-dog
aggressive, and a few that were not good with strangers).  Some of these
inconsistencies may go along with the "newness" of the breed - or lack of
development.

My friends love their Leo, but she is a bit more than they bargained for
activity wise.  I think that this Leo will be their one & only.  I know of
another family that has a Pyr & a Leo.  They prefer the Pyr's activity level
also.

Like I said these are just my personal experiences - hope that it helps!

Christine Hodel & furry pals
Mistral Great Pyrenees
Cedar Rapids, IA
mistral@netins.net