Re: Re: [pyrnet] Re: Dog Breath

Hi Cindy...
Chance is my Otterhound that I rescued from the Animal Rescue Leage six years
ago next month.  He is my alpha male, second from the oldest bitch, my
Beardie, Belle who will be nine in November.  He is very independent and "ALL
BOY"!
I also have another male Beardie, Oliver (brat), who will be four in December.
When I rescued Bobo, my Pyr, six months ago, I almost thought that it would
not work out.  Chance and Bobo seemed to have some difficulties (especially
around food) - I still don't know what each had to resort to at one time or
another to get food when they were "out there".  Thank God Bobo always backed
down to Chance, but I was afraid that as he got his bearings, he might
retaliate, then that may be very bad.  I was very diligent about walking them
together every day, on lead and away from the property - that way they were
(my thinking, only) forced to pack with each other - with no distractions, no
possessions, etc.  Somehow, that and time, have worked.  Now they lay with
each other in the same hole that they have "built" themselves.  It is
hysterical to see them out there, guarding the property and laying in their
holes.  It seems that they have worked out a relationship, although not
buddy-buddy, a quiet comfort/tolerance of each other.  When I brought two
more young male Pyrs in in June, once again I got a little anxious.
Chance had nothing to do with them and Bobo bossed them around (when he was
not playing with them).  Now those two are placed in homes up north and I am
down to my "manageable" five and all is wonderful.  Its hard to believe that
I got an Otterhound from the local rescue, (with no history at all except -
NO CATS - warning)  He is very "houndy" in his personality in that he talks
to me (moos is more like it)!  I am glad they have worked it out - I know
that my Beardies and Aussie were fine with Bobo (as herders will do with
Pyrs).  I am just so grateful that Chance was accepted by Bobo as his leader
- not as an intruder, as I thought might happen.  Of course, I am the alpha
and have to keep up that role, commanding sits, as well as controlling food,
toys, etc. so both look to me.
Sorry to be so long.
Regards,
Lisa