Re: Re: [pyrnet] Senior Dogs

On 4 Oct 00, at 9:00, kdbooth wrote:

> Canine nutrition ... one of my favorite topics.  I tried Hund 'N Flocken
> and found that it just passed right through my pyrs ... several times a
> day in huge quantities.  Now I feed California Natural but I've also
> started a product called Red Barn.  It comes in a roll, like a bologna,
> completely natural and no fillers.

One thing to be aware of when starting any Solid Gold Dog Food is it
cleans out the bowel and you will see mucousy loose stools for a
period of time.  We see this at the boarding kennels where I work.
Usually once the bowel has been cleaned out all the dogs do well on
it.  Depending on what food a boarder has been eating this can take a
week or more and we see some strange things in the stool.  Golly
never in my life did I think I'd pay so much attention to poop
<grin>. But at a boarding kennel we are checking for critters in the
stool also.  Where do you get the Red Barn, I have seen it at dog
shows but not in the general market.  With your girl with the
irritable bowel syndrome, has she been checked for parasites and
giardia? The only problem with the stool tests are many times the
result is a false negative and you have to keep testing.  I find a
series of Probiotics many times helps with irritable bowel.  Also
feeding yogurt and pumpkin can help.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico