Re: [pyrnet] GPCA -- and dwarfs

In a message dated 10/12/2000 7:35:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
JGentzel@aol.com writes:

> Yes, Kelly a lot of misinformation out there.

I disagree. I don't feel there is a lot of misinformation out there, at least
not in the way I believe you are suggesting there is.  It seems to me you are
suggesting the educational information that has been or is being disseminated
to club-affiliated breeders is somehow attempting to pull the wool over their
eyes, and I believe you are dead wrong about that.  They've been studying and
working on this project for how many years now, I'm thinking going on 10 at
least.  How long have you been seriously studying and working on the project?

I believe there is a wide range of variation in level of knowledge and
understanding of the information that is out there, hence a wide range of
variation in how people *interpret* and *apply* the information that is out
there.  I also feel even the alleged experts on this condition have changed
their tunes with regard to interpretation of just how severe or concerning it
is relative to quality of life issues over the past several years.

Much of the range of variation in interpretation can be the result of folks
own personal biases, opinions, beliefs, and it often boils down to WHICH
information and which so-called experts they choose to put more stock in.
Even scientific evidence generally can't be considered to be exact, precise,
and absolute. Science involves a lot of trial and error. There are almost
always differing opinions in the scientific community and research academia
as to how any derived data should be interpreted, how much confidence should
be placed in the findings, and more importantly, how it should be *applied*
in the decision making process.

I started seriously studying and scrutinizing issues related to dwarfism in
the breed around 1991-1992 or so.  I have made it a point to look at the
whole picture and ensemble, not just parts and pieces, not just one
particular viewpoint.  While I admittedly have my own biases relative to the
matter, I can unequivocally say my perhaps biased opinions have been arrived
at after thoroughly studying ALL points of view on the matter.  I have not
formulated my opinions nor drawn my conclusions based on only the part of the
picture I might prefer to see.

> Patric  posted a Literature search on September 28.  Go and review
> that and you will see some scientific evidence of radiographical
> abnormalities in the vertebrae.   I will quote just a short portion from
> only one, having to do with Pyrs directly:
>
> "Radiographic abnormalities in chondrodysplastic Great Pyrenees
> are restricted to the metaphyses of long bones and vertebrae."

Yes, I recall the list of journal abstracts/citations Patric posted, and I
have read these abstracts before, but I have not read all the full text
articles, have you?  I did refresh my memory and read the abstracts again.
Here's where we get into an interpretation issue, and certainly we can't
fully correctly interpret the researchers findings in proper context only by
the abstract, we'd need the full text of the articles, and we'd need someone
skilled in reading journalese to do some "translating" for us.

Aside from that, I asked you to cite what "debilitating spinal deformities"
had been documented in Great Pyrenees, DEBILITATING being the operative word
here.  These abstracts don't give me that information.  The abstract you
refer to addresses radiographic findings which may or may not be
consequential as to implications with regard to functionality, these findings
do not address functionality nor quality of life issues.  For that
information and assessment, I must also consider what you are calling
anecdotal data and my own personal experience and that of others.

>  DR Padgett classifies it as follows:
>
>  Severe Traits
>
>            Disorders that disfigure, maim or otherwise render an animal
>  nonfunctional (i.e. cataracts, retinal dysplasia and
>       detachment, chondrodystrophy).

Well, it might interest you to know that apparently Dr. Padgett has revised
this, because he presents the information differently in his book.  In his
book he states the following (Page 161):

"2. Disorders that disfigure, maim, or otherwise render an animal
nonfunctional
Example: English Pointer dwarfism, cataracts, retinal dysplasia and
detachment, Malamute chondrodystrophy, PRA, deafness."

A couple of my own comments/opinions on the above:

1. He does not *specifically* mention dwarfism in Great Pyrenees nor dwarfism
in several other breeds even though he lists Pyrs and *several* other breeds
in the back of his book as having dwarfism (chondrodystrophy) occurrences.
Somehow, believe it or not, it would appear he has differentiated in the
various expressions and types of dwarfism and the degree of severity and
quality of life issues as such in his priority scheme.

2. I disagree with categorically throwing cataracts, retinal dysplasia (folds
type), PRA and even deafness in this category:

A. Cataracts is a VERY BROAD catchall category, and the majority of the
cataracts that are identified in many breeds NEVER cause blindness, and some
(many) don't even cause vision impairment until old age if at all.  That's
not to say we should breed affected dogs, not AT ALL; it's an argument
against his broad assessment of what is maiming, disfiguring, or
nonfunctional.

B. Same for retinal dysplasia-folds type.  Rarely does this conditions result
in blindness, or even much vision impairment.

C. PRA - once again I can't categorically agree with this.  Researchers are
finding a wide variation in expression of PRA (and different mutations
responsible in different breeds, even at different gene loci), and some PRA
dogs get along just fine and dandy, retain plenty enough vision to be
perfectly functional with it.  Not to mention PRA is most commonly a
late-onset disorder in most breeds, and since it is also a progressive
disorder, a dog that first presents at the average age of  6 yrs often still
has good enough vision to see pretty well until 10+ years of age.  We are
seeing this in Belgian Tervuren, and we have an ongoing research project in
progress, this is not something I dreamed up.  The type of PRA we have in
Tervs is "stumping" the experts at MSU because it's not progressing like they
"expect" it to based on what prior scientific research dictates -- dogs
diagnosed at 6-8 yrs of age are still navigating complex mazes at 10-11 years
of age.  Aguirre's team at Cornell are seeing the same thing in Basenjis,
variable expression of the condition, little of it resulting in total
blindness and virtually none of it rendering animals nonfunctional.

D. Whether or not deafness causes an animal to be nonfunctional is a matter
of interpretation.  I think those who have lived with and successfully
trained unilateral or bilateral deaf dogs are in a much better position to
determine if their partial or fully hearing deaf dogs are "nonfunctional".

>  There are others references.  If we rely on our information from
>  antidotal information we will leave ourselves open to very possibly
>  dealing with rumors, interpretations, spin, lies, mistakes, and the
>  whole spectrum of  misleading information.

But you can't rely *solely* on medical journal citations either!  First off,
have you even read the full text of these articles, or are you just focusing
on the abstracts?  Do you really know what the researchers are presenting
her, and precisely what they are saying in context?  Secondly, virtually all
scientific findings are debatable and open to further scrutiny and testing
and hypothesizing by other scientists.  And thirdly, research journal
articles that focus primarily on histiological or pathological or etiological
findings don't and can't effectively address quality of life issues.  If that
were true, I could have just written off three members of my immediate family
as having no quality of life and being nonfunctional a long time ago!

>  Does it surprise you that
>  you do not hear a lot about the culled dogs from a litter?

Of course it doesn't surprise me, but it doesn't tell me they were culled due
to being maimed, disfigured, and nonfunctional.  They are often culled
because there is a perception by some that this condition is something far
more grave than it is with regard to quality of life issues, and there is
also the desire to hide the condition because of the unwarranted stigma
associated with it. Aside from that, the dwarfs that are culled in litters
are culled LONG BEFORE anyone has had a chance to assess quality of life
issues. They aren't culled for health reasons, so cut me a break.  I think
most of us know these dogs are culled primarily for esthetic reasons and the
desire not to deal with them, simple as that.  Personally I think culling or
not is a choice each breeder has to make, I'm not making judgments on
culling, but let's not pretend it's done for reasons other than why it is
generally done.

>  The survey was antidotal.  Nothing wrong
>  with that as long as we understand what that means.  It does not
>  mean that it represents any degree of  accuracy from science standards.

So what?  I don't believe that's what it was intended to be. What it DOES
provide is a glimpse of what those who LIVE WITH a dozen plus or so dwarf
Great Pyrenees have evaluated as these dogs quality of life.  None indicated
the dogs were in pain, none felt the dogs were maimed, none felt the dogs
were nonfunctional.  Are you saying you think they were all lying?  Why would
they do that?

>  Lets look at this differently.  Lets suppose we accept Dwarfs as some
>  cute harmless aberration of our dogs.

Why does the word "cute" always have to get thrown into this point in
context?  Why can't we just say a comparatively harmless aberration to other
genetic health issues that afflict the breed.  If we accept there are worse
things a breeder might have to deal with, that doesn't mean we think it is
cute nor that it's okay to breed two carriers together on purpose.

>  And yes people are getting rich breading
>  them, which is how this thread started anyway,

Joe, once again, the majority of them are STERILE and can't be bred.  Dr.
Sande I believe tried two or three times to do a dwarf to dwarf breeding to
test the mode of inheritance, and those experiments failed because the
majority of dwarfs are sterile and hence incapable of reproducing.  No one is
or ever will be "getting rich" breeding for dwarf Great Pyrenees.  I doubt
anyone will EVER successfully breed two dwarfs together.  I've heard the
concerns that breeders (I'm going to assume here breeders outside of GPCA)
might purposefully breed carriers together to get dwarfs, and I've heard
there have been inquiries to the health committee from prospective pet owners
looking to acquire a dwarf, so what does that tell you with regard to how
severe this condition must be viewed in general?  Do you think people are
calling the health committee asking where they can get an epileptic Pyr or a
dysplastic Pyr or one with bilateral luxating patellas, or one with subaortic
stenosis who might drop dead at a year of age, or one with cardiomyopathy who
might do the same?  Tell me Joe, which of any of those conditions do you
honestly feel is less concerning and less of a threat to the breed than
dwarfism?  I agree dwarfism is wholly misunderstood by whomever these idiots
are that call the health committee wanting one, but don't you figure they
must have met one somewhere down the line, and didn't see anything overtly
sickly about it, and talked to the owners who also didn't have any major
issues with the dogs quality of life?  Otherwise, where would they get the
(wrong) idea it's some cute harmless aberration?  We have a hard enough time
on the "inside" getting information about these dogs, yet I'm supposed to
believe that information flows quite freely about the existence of dwarfs in
circles/communities outside those of club affiliates?  No where has dwarfism
been glorified in educational materials, so how do these inquirers even know
about them?  My cousin has a pet store Golden that's a dwarf (quite healthy
by the way, age 6 or 7 yrs).  I imagine the same thing happens in Pyrs, that
somebody's neighbor or friend or relative happened to get one and that person
saw it and wanted one too.  No reason to believe the estimated 1% affected
rate doesn't apply across the board to all breeding cultures and that there
are pet owner folks out there, here and there, who've acquired dwarfs from
farm breeders or backyard breeders or pet stores.  Yes, they misunderstand
the condition, but apparently they are seeing seemingly health dogs, that is
my point.  It seems to me the overwhelming evidence is it's not a serious
quality of life issue in the majority of the cases.

>  i.e. the use of the marker
>  study to identify Dwarf carriers thereby enabling those who breed
>  them to succeed better.

Joe, do you realize IF we get a DNA marker test, either a linkage or direct
gene test, what the cost is likely to be per dog?  Probably somewhere in the
neighborhood of $150-200.  I am quite positive no GPCA breeders are
purposefully going to breed two carriers for dwarfs to "get rich", and as for
those outside the club, most of them won't pay for a stinking hip ray on the
parents, or for more than one (if any) set of shots for puppies, or for
wormings, or for anything else that might cut into the profit, and they shove
the puppies out the door at 4-6 wks of age to save more money, and you think
they are going to shell out $150-200 a pop on a bunch of breeding stock to
locate dwarf carriers so they can breed them together and produce ~25% dwarfs
in the litter and get rich?  Let's get real here.  This is not something I
fear in the least.  It's completely irrational and goes against everything we
know about these types of breeders and what type of efforts, monetary or
otherwise, they are willing to make when breeding a litter.

>  My remark that wait until they get the
>  deformed dogs, with the response, said then and repeated many
>  times, "What deformities."  Now that we have identified the
>  "deformities" we are now at a point that "oh, its not so much."

Joe, those abstracts merely "identify" some deformities by words that mean
little or nothing to 99.9% of the people on this list.  Are you 100%
absolutely clear and positive as to what meaning those words have in the big
picture?  What are the IMPLICATIONS of these findings?  Don't you think that
is important information to gather?  Don't you think perhaps it would be
better either: a) for the author to explain in layman's terms what this means
for practical purposes; or b) for some other orthopedist and/or radiologist
to explain what all this really means, what the practical implications are?

>   So lets tell everyone how much is OK to tolerate in the
>  "Maimed and disfigured" dogs (not my words but DR Padgett's).
>   1% seems to be within the tolerance level of some from prior posts.

Yes, 1% of affected animals breedwide with a condition that the majority of
time does not seriously negatively impact on quality of life issues is
"within my tolerance level", especially when my scope also happens to include
all the other genetic health defects mentioned elsewhere that are likely at a
frequency higher than 1%, and that in my opinion are more debilitating, have
more impact on quality of life issues, and are a much bigger threat to the
breed as a whole.

>  So some of you tell us what percentage is tolerable as we go forward
>  with these cute little dogs being bred that are really a lot like Corgis,
>  Bassetts, etc.

What exactly is your point here?  NO ONE has suggested breeding dwarfs
together, not one single soul.  No one has suggested breeding two known
carriers together to get dwarfs by design. So what do you mean by "go forward
with these cute little dogs"?  Please clarify because I don't understand what
it is you want or are concerned about.  Are you saying we should eliminate
all potential (suspect) carriers from the gene pool?  Are you saying we
should make a unilateral recommendation to do that?  What exactly ARE you
saying and/or accusing folks (seemingly folks like me) of?

Kelley Hoffman
kshoffman@aol.com