Re: [pyrnet] GPCA -- and dwarfs

In a message dated 10/14/2000 7:01:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
JGentzel@aol.com writes:

> Maybe they would like to restate what they said, so I do not say
> anything wrong about them or their views or positions related to what
> they said or many any mistaken inferences?

I didn't mean to imply you did (say anything wrong with regard to the
entities involved in the research) so sorry if it came out that way.  So long
as the entities integrally involved in (and basically in control of) this
research are wholly in support of it, and behind the effort, then I suppose
any issues of concern with regard to potential "misuse" of such a DNA test
become a matter of properly educating all the breeders/owners out there with
regard to what the prospect of a DNA test for dwarfism means to all of us,
and what it doesn't mean, and how important it is to submit data/samples and
participate.

In my opinion, concern over potential misuse of the test isn't even a
remotely valid reason not to participate in the research.  We need as many as
possible to provide the research team with data on affecteds and their
families.  I surely *hope* that's not why folks who may have valid data the
researchers desperately need aren't participating.  If so, then perhaps we
need some educational articles in the Bulletin that would provide the facts
about DNA marker research and testing for genetic disease, dispel some myths,
and attempt to allay some of these invalid concerns.

>  IMHO, the Red Herring is the notion that there
>  is a serious intent to use the marker as a tool to
>  breed carriers in order to harvest Dwarfs.

As I said, I must have missed at least some of the initial discussion of the
topic of the dwarfism marker research and some folks apparently expressing
(or implying) concern the test may be used to identify carriers to breed them
together by design.  I believe the likely cost of the test alone will prevent
that from happening, or certainly it will minimize it dramatically, so I
don't consider potential misuse of the test a legitimate concern in the least.

Just to give everyone an idea of what many of these DNA tests cost, I've
compiled a listing of a number the DNA tests available on the market from
several labs, and what their currently listed prices are.  Some are linkage
tests, some are direct gene tests. (That's a whole 'nother topic of
discussion.) You will notice a wide variation in prices.  Many things factor
into this pricing variation, at least one of which might be "you get what you
pay for":

<A HREF="http://www.genesearch.net/">genesearch3</A>
http://www.genesearch.net/

Irish Setter PRA $45
Cocker Spaniel PFK Deficiency $45
English Springer Spaniel PFK Deficiency $45
Basenji Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency $45
Briard Congenital Stationary Night Blindness $45
Cardigan Welsh Corgi PRA $45
Doberman Pinscher von Willebrand's Disease (vWD) $55
Manchester Terrier vWD $55
Poodle vWD $45
Pembroke Welsh Corgi vWD $55
Shetland Sheepdog vWD $45

<A HREF="http://www.vetgen.com/">VetGen - Purebred Animal Genetic (DNA)
Disease Testing and Profiling</A>
http://www.vetgen.com/

Direct Gene Tests:
von Willebrand's Disease - Scottish Terrier $140
Phosphofructokinase Deficiency - Springer Spaniel $80
Phosphofructokinase Deficiency - Cocker Spaniel $80
Progressive Retinal Atrophy - Irish Setter $140
Pyruvic Kinase Deficiency - Basenji $140
von Willebrand's Disease - Doberman Pinscher $140
von Willebrand's Disease - Shetland Sheepdog $140
von Willebrand's Disease - Manchester Terrier $140
von Willebrand's Disease - Poodle (all) $140
von Willebrand's Disease - Pembroke Welsh Corgi $140

Linkage Tests:
Copper Toxicosis - Bedlington Terriers $55
Renal Dysplasia - Shih Tzu $140
Renal Dysplasia - Lhasa Apso $140
Renal Dysplasia - Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier $140

Coat color tests:
Labrador Retriever - Tests for presence of chocolate & yellow $85
Doberman Pinscher - Tests for presence of red $85
American Cocker Spaniel - Tests for presence of black, brown, buff/red $85
Flat-coated Retriever - Tests for presence of black, liver and yellow $85
Poodle (all varieties) - Tests for presence of cream, white, red and apricot
$65
Scottish Terrier - Tests for presence of - brindle and wheaten $85

<A HREF="http://www.optigen.com/">OPTIGEN - diagnostic lab service and
information for genetic diseases in purebred dogs</A>
http://www.optigen.com/

Congenital Stationary Night Blindness - Briard -- $135
Progress Retinal Atrophy Progressive Rod Cone Degeneration (prcd-PRA)
  prcd-PRA Test for Chesapeake Bay Retriever -- $260 *
  prcd-PRA Test for English Cocker Spaniel -- $260 *
  prcd-PRA Test for Labrador Retriever -- $260 *
  prcd-PRA Test for Portuguese Water Dog -- $260 *
Canine Leukocyte Adhesion Deficiency (CLAD)
  CLAD Test for Irish Setter -- $135
Progressive Retinal Atrophy Rod Cone Degeneration (rcd1-PRA)
  PRA Test for Irish Setter -- $135
CLAD & rcd1-PRA Combo Tests for Irish Setter -- $200
Narcolepsy
  NARC Test for Dachshund -- $130
  NARC Test for Doberman Pinscher -- $130
  NARC Test for Labrador Retriever -- $130
  NARC & prcd-PRA Combo Tests for Labrador Retriever --$312

<A HREF="http://www.vet.upenn.edu/penngen/">PennGen - Section of Medical
Genetics at the University of Pennsylvania</A>
http://www.vet.upenn.edu/penngen/

Cystinuria - Newfoundland $75
Fucosidosis - English Springer Spaniel $75
Myotonia Congenita - Miniature Schnauzer $75
Phosphofructokinase Deficiency (PFK) - English Springer $75
Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency (PK) - Basenji, West Highland WT $75

Kelley Hoffman
kshoffman@aol.com