Re: [pyrnet] Are Pyr's really right for surburbia?

and could not do without them, my experience
> with them makes me think
> that pyrs are not a good match for suburbia.

Other than the barking, which is a real problem, and
the fact that he tends to wander off immediately if
given half a chance, Leo is a great dog for our
suburban setting. He is calm, friendly, people-loving,
and confident. He was a very easy puppy and now, at 12
months, he is 100 % reliable indoors for up to a full
day. And of course, it is always fun to have a dog so
gorgeous because wherever we go, he gets lots of
admiring comments :-) We are about to start our
therapy dog orientation and I think he will really
shine at that.

But are Pyrs right for the average dog owner in an
urban or suburban setting? In my limited experience,
probably not. Leaving aside the fact that they are
huge and hairy and somewhat drooly, their independent
nature would be a real bummer I think for some folks
who want a "velcro dog" or one who wants a dog  to
play games and retrieve. And the barking is a real
biggie. Leo never barks inappropriately in the house
(or stops as soon as we tell him to stop). But if we
let him out in our fenced yard for even a moment, he
begins barking almost as soon as we open the door and
will do it for hours ata  time if we don't bring him
in.

I don't think most average dog owners would be able to
deal with his barking.

Katie

See my dogs:
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=1478684603&n=436447237