Re: [pyrnet] Choosing a show puppy for beginners

I sent this yesterday, but it was returned.  I am trying again.

You are asking the right questions, but the answers are not so simple.  You
have to study and understand your breeder.  How do you do that?  That's the
really hard part.

Selling puppies is a lot of marketing, like anything else.  Some people
market themselves and their puppies much better than others and this has
nothing to do with getting good puppies.  So in the end, it comes back to you
and your homework.  Take your time.  Read books and magazines.  Ask questions
like you have here.   Listen with your mind, not your heart.  Never go look
at puppies unless you are really sure (fairly sure) you want one from that
breeder.  Puppies of any breeding totally disarm the most hardened of us.
Once you have picked your breeder, be prepared to wait for what you want.
Most people who call me want a puppy now and that is their criteria.  I
always tell them if they have called me when the last litter was 7 or 8 weeks
old I might have a puppy for them, but that was 7 months ago.  So everything
is relative.  Good breeders do not want this type puppy buyer anyway as these
puppies are very likely to end up in rescue.  Also any breeder should be
ready to take your puppy back at anytime for any reason, without really
asking any questions.  Ask your  breeder about health problems.  All breeding
dogs should have their hips X-rayed and graded a passing grade by some
acceptable organization like OFA.  They should also be clear of knee
problems, shoulder problems, and their eyes now need to be checked for
Cataracts and PRA.  Ask about incidence of Dwarfs in the lines including
brothers, sisters, grandparents, etc.  Ask about epilepsy in any of their
dogs, and especially any dog related to the puppies.  Visit the kennels and
judge temperament.  Nervous, shy, or aggressive dogs should not be on your
list.

Ask them to show what is wrong with their dogs.  There is something wrong
with every dog.  If they cannot show you anything, they are probably not
being real candid with you or are "kennel blind".  Look for healthy sound
dogs whose parents and siblings are same, but also look for dogs that have an
elegance about them.  If they remind you of St. Bernard's or Newfoundland's,
this dog is probably not a real typey Pyr. Look for large dogs, but not
necessarily heavy dogs with really large impressive bone.  Don't worry too
much about color.  Take the best you are offered once you have your breeder
picked out.

 The most professional appearing and sounding breeder can be the worst
breeder, so it comes back to you gaining some understanding of what is
correct in the breed.  Price does not necessarily mean anything about
quality.  Remember marketing.  Your better marketers will be more successful
and aggressive on price.  Do not get trapped into thinking if X breeder wants
1.5 or 2 thousand for a puppy and Y breeder only wants 1 or 1.2 thousand for
that top show prospect the more expensive might be better.  Not necessarily
true.

Good luck, this is very hard for anyone.

Joe