[pyrnet] HEALTH, CHAT: Clondike, the teenager!

Clondike Blanche Neige, CGC, VA is 13 years old today.  While this is a
respectable age for any Great Pyrenees, it is a special accomplishment for
Clondike because she is a cancer survivor.  She is 29 months from
diagnosis with canine lymphoma, and 17 months post-chemo working on
remission #3.

She achieved a 1st remission of 4 months with fairly traditional chemo
drugs, but had very serious reactions to 2 of the agents.  Using a rescue
protocol she achieved a 3 month 2nd remission and then surprised everyone
with a very long 3rd remission.  We haven't let her read any of the
literature that suggests that remissions are supposed to get shorter.

Clondike retains her intense love of life and thoroughly enjoys her
bi-weekly trips to the oncologists' office for checkups (90 minutes each
way).  At a recent visit to our general practice vet, she entertained a
waiting room full of children and was in ecstasy getting simultaneous ear
scratches and butt scratches.

Unfortunately Clondike is experiencing a number of geriatric problems
including arthritis, chronic urinary tract infections (both lymphoma and
chemo are immune suppressing) and a loss of appetite.  This last item is
particularly frustrating as Clondike was known as an appetite on 4 feet
for most of her life, adhering to a strict diet to keep her weight under
100 pounds.

We are cautiously optimistic that an antihistamine called Cyproheptadine
may help improve her appetite.  It seems to be helping, but we'd be very
interested in hearing from anyone else who has used this drug, as the
optimum dose seems to be a great unknown (for dogs).

We'd also like to thank everyone on all the lists who have given us so
much help and support and have included Clondike in their thoughts and
prayers.  It has helped more than we can ever tell you.

Hugs to all of your furry friends,

David, Nancy and Clondike (now a teenager--hide the car keys!)

 David Kintsfather, Ph.D.       | PHONE:       (610) 683-4497
 Prof. of Telecommunications    | FAX:         (610) 683-4659
 Kutztown University            | E-MAIL:      kintsfat@kutztown.edu
 PO Box 730                     | "We need not think alike to love alike."
 Kutztown, PA  19530-0730       |              Francis David