Re: [pyrnet] HELP -- Need fencing advice

On 6 Nov 00, at 8:35, Robyn Allwright wrote:

> Around here, we call it cattle wire, but it's the same thing.  Our pasture
> is fenced with this, and it's held horses, goats, and Pyrs, EXCEPT of
> course, Baron.  You see, no 4' high fence can hold him -- he's up and over
> in a heartbeat.  But everyone else is fine with this arrangement, and
> doesn't even show an inclination to dig under it.

Horse fencing comes in heights up to 6'.  There are also heavy wire
panels called sheep or cattle panels that are 5-6' in height.  Welded
wire is also sold up to 6', although welded wire fencing is not as
sturdy as the wire is welded instead of wrapped, horse fencing is a
heavier gauge wire. Cattle fencing has larger squares than the horse
fencing.  I have cattle fencing in the field out back and my guys can
get their noses through those squares. Things are building up around
here and there is a light industry complex at the back of my property
now.  Stray dogs abound and my male was seriously injured fence
fighting, he was able to get his nose through the cattle fencing and
really got ripped up by some dog.   Needless to say those tenants and
their clients no longer are allowed to let their dogs roam.  My dogs
are also not allowed in the back field unless I am out with them to
supervise. I don't like the idea of my younger dogs learning fence
aggression and I certainly don't want any more dogs injured.  Yes
isn't it silly...I will go looking for a dog only to find them in
their crates.  Mine are out all day, unless it's very hot or cold,
then they might want to spend part of the day in the house.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico
http://members.aol.com/greatpyrenees/judys/judy.htm