[pyrnet] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.20001122

Dear Pyr-fect Pyrnet People:

THANK YOU all for the warm welcome and the very helpful suggestions.
Special thanks to Diana and Dianne for the crime-savvy, research-savvy leads.

I had a DUH moment after you guys pointed out I should check for a
microchip or a tattoo. Gadzooks, I shoulda thunka that! -- but I'll plead
rural obliviousness. 'Round these parts ever'body knows that there big
white dog b'longs to Bill and Sue, the ones 't bought the old Rutherford
place back in '66, she what has the rheumatiz ... So people don't think of
tattoos or microchips. (I'm exaggerating just slightly, but I'll take any
excuse I can get for not thinking of that.)

Anyway, no tattoo, but I'll check ASAP with the vets and local police to
see if anyone has chip scanner. And I'm grateful to have your info about
the specific places that should be scanned.

It was sad that Apollo and Athena had to be split -- and I'll confess it
was my doing. I was adding Athena to a menagerie of three (two
senior-citizen mutt girls) and couldn't take Apollo -- who was as lovable
as he was magnificent, but more than my old girls could have handled. I
believe he was adopted by the ranch family who fostered him for the
shelter. That family is aware of the creepy circumstances under which the
dogs lost their original home, so I can talk with them to see if they know
more about the pups' origins. (But you're right, Diana, some people would
be creeped out at the though of adopting dogs of a murder victim. I was
pretty uneasy about it myself until I met Athena and Apollo.)

Anyway, I'll check chips first, then see if I can learn which was the
original shelter, then try Idaho state police and your other suggestions.

Once again, thanks for welcoming me and my dog-girls to the list and Happy
Thanksgiving to you all (and as someone else said, for you non-USAans,
Happy Today).

Claire

>Welcome Claire!  Interesting story.  Was Apollo adopted out to someone
>else?  Sad when they have to be split!  Have no idea how you would search
>for this type of thing, but good wishes and good luck!  Cindy

>Hi Claire, Have you checked Athena for a microchip or tattoo either
>inside her ear flap or on the inside of her thigh?  That would be a
>start.

>Claire, welcome to the group. It is a wonderful group of people.

>Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:28:01 -0500 (EST)
>From: nixie@mad.scientist.com
>Subject: RE: [pyrnet] CHAT: Tracing the Background of My New Pyr
>
>Hi Claire,
>
>This pyr-mama joined the list recently for much the same reason - in the
hope that someone could help me find where my wonderful girl originated -
so I understand completely.

>I also have the minute advantage of being a police officer's wife <s>.
Hope this information helps:

>1.  Find out the name of the original shelter in Idaho and contact them.
If that information was included when she went to another shelter, then
*someone* at that shelter was curious and folowing the details.

>2.  Consider asking them where Apollo went - not only because the two dogs
may be bonded, and keeping in touch with him and being able to visit
occasionally might be nice for Athena, but because his new family might be
curious as well.  I caution you not to mention the circumstances of the
dogs' availability to them - let them tell you, if they know, or don't
vounteer it - some people get the creeps from stuff like that, and you
wouldn't want to endanger his new home...

>3.  Contact the Idaho State Police.  Tell them what's up - that you have
adopted a dog, and that you would like to know who the original owners were
(you needn't cite "morbid curiosity" <s>.  a simple "I need the info in
order to track down and change their AKC registration" would suffice).  The
State Police are often involved in murder investigations in rural areas and
may know of it.  A double-murder would stick in their minds more than a
"Standard" one.  The State Police are more likely to have a statewide crime
register/statistics, and will, as with all departments, have an NCIC
operator or two (National Crime Information Center is the FBI-based
national system into which your missing children and stolen cars are
reported, among other things <s>).

>4.  Are you a friend of your local library?  A research librarian can be
your best friend in a search like this.  Better still, if you can get a
research librarian in Boise on the trail - where she will be more likely to
have major and minor Idaho newspapers in her archives.

>Best of luck to you.  And congratulations to Athena, who seems to have
gone from one caring home to another.

>Diana & Calysto (who thinks that names adapted from Greek Mytholoy are
*very* cool <g>)