Re: [pyrnet] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.20001201

I keep getting people mad at me for saying this, but I have to anyway:

When I asked my vet about this she was (I can't spell adamant) that this
was a dangerous thing to do.  She said to feed bread or mashed potato or
something soft and bulky but not cotton balls which could lead to a
blockage in addition to the original problem.

I put my glass christmas balls into a big bowl that is hanging from a
plant hanger in front of a window, and try to stick to safer decorations
on the tree and where the dogs can reach.  Not that you can protect them
from everything but better safe...

Stephanie, Anais & Ciaran

On Mon, 04 Dec 2000 11:04:48 -0500 Roger Poole <rpoole@wh2p.com> writes:
> > "What do you do if your puppy (or mischievous older dog) gets into
> your
> > holiday decorations and eats some of the glass ornaments?
> >
> > This potentially lethal mishap can darken even the brightest
> holiday season.
> >

> >           THE PROCEDURE
> >
> > BEFORE the holiday go to a pharmacy and buy a box of cotton balls.
> Be sure
> > that you get COTTON balls...not the cosmetic puffs that are made
> from man-made
> > fibers. Also, buy a quart of half-and-half coffee cream and put it
> in the
> > freezer.
> >
> > Should your dog eat glass ornaments. Defrost the half-and-half and
> pour some
> > in a bowl. Dip cotton balls into the cream and feed them to your
> dog.
> >
> > Dogs under 10 lbs should eat 2 balls which you have first torn
> into smaller
> > pieces. Dogs 10-50 lbs should eat 3-5 balls and larger dogs should
> eat 5-7.
> > You may feed larger dogs an entire cotton ball at once. (Dogs seem
> to really
> > like these strange treats and eat them readily.)
> >
> > As the cotton works its way through the digestive tract it will
> find all the
> > glass pieces and wrap itself around them. Even the teeniest shards
> of glass
> > will be caught and wrapped in the cotton fibers and the cotton
> will protect
> > the intestines from damage by the glass. Your dogs stools will be
> really weird
> > for a few days and you will have to be careful to check for fresh
> blood or a
> > tarry appearance to the stool. If either of the latter symptoms
> appear you
> > should rush your dog to the vet for a checkup but, in most cases,
> the dogs
> > will be just fine.
> >

> Wow. Great information for this time of year. Just put the tree up
> and was
> worried about both ingesting glass and/or what to do if my girl
> Gracie
> should break ornaments and get glass splinters in her feet? Already
> have
> Chairs around the entire tree to keep her from burrowing into it.
> Thank you.
>
> (Just wondering though, wouldn't a handful of pyr hair work just as
> well as
> the cotton ball?)

---