Re: [pyrnet] how big?

I recall reading an article somewhere(?) referring to the weight/growth of large/giant Breed pups and the underlying factor was " lean is better" until at least 12 months of age. I would prefer to feel ribs and also some backbone at this age.  Each growing youngster may be different from another growing youngster.  It's  the genes that  dictate the height, size and weight overall so if you have a youngster who tends to put weight on easily then ensure you don't compound the weight increases. We can all give the weights, heights of our young ones but don't expect them to be all the same, they are from different litters/matings and even litter mates may show a disparity in height/weight according to the genes they have inherited. My 12 month old dog is 53 kilos, my 2 year old dog is 50 kilos.  One is an import, one is bred by me.  Guess which one I wish to reduce the weight on??? Especially when I think that the height and bone mass are not contributing to the weight of 53 kilos???

Jan
Jan Chaplin
Ariege-Roussillon Pyreneans http://www.geocities.com/janellachaplin/
ariege@xtra.co.nz