Re: [pyrnet] Pyr eyes

Maybe Darrell should publish a more extensive article on eye
problems and breeding recommendations in the bulletin.  The
opthalmologist who checked Sonny's eyes is also a researcher at
A&M and he was very interested in the problems that were being
seen and talked to me and told me some things.

PPM in some breeds has become such a problem to be
considered a major inherited problem.  Sonny has iris to iris which
is not considered a vision impairment but as he said keep breeding
PPM to PPM and they've seen the other forms start forming and in
other breeds start becoming a major inherited disorder.  This is not
something to be complacent about and it's not recommended to
breed a PPM to PPM dog.

In multifocal retinopathy there are detachments of the retina.  Why
would you breed together dogs with detachments in their retinas?
This does create holes in their field of vision whether visually
impaired or not.  As he said we can't give these dogs eye tests and
we can't ask them what they can and can't see.  There may be
more going on that they don't know yet.  He said they're also
seeing other forms that's similar to what's in pyrs in other breeds
showing up.  Only research is going to give them the answers and
finding a marker in pyrs may help other breeds at a future date.

And Darrell is correct keep this up and you'll have something
similar to collie eye anomaly to where there are few to no clear
pyrs.

And having more than one problem like this and the activity that
goes with it could be why the spots are there that say he may
develop cataracts.

Janice, janices@austin.rr.com
Lana & Linsey (newfs), Sonny (pyr)
http://home.austin.rr.com/janices