Re: [pyrnet] Alaskan Malamutes and Pyrs?

Katie Allison Granju wrote:

> We may be fostering a neutered male Alaskan malamute
> for a time.

Hi Katie--

Good for you for venturing into the "fostering world."  It is never
easy; always a challenge.  Here is the layout at my home if it is
helpful to you.

I have three Pyrs of my own and often have a foster Pyr as well.  In
addition, I usually have three to four foster Mals as well as my own
Malamute who I have had for five years.  I feel comfortable putting them
together this way:  I would never put two male Mals together.  I've
tried and for awhile it would be okay, then something would set them
off, and we would have a fight.  I would not put the male Pyr and the
male Mal together either.  Again they get into a dominance thing, and
the fur flies.

If you can keep the sexes apart, you'll be okay, or supervise them until
they are crated or put into separate runs.  It does not seem to be a
breed thing that gets them going, but it is instead a male/female thing.

Hope that this helps.  If there is something else that I could answer,
just hollar.

Catherine in Vermont
cmo@together.net