Re: [pyrnet] Pyr eyes

<< Darrell I have to disagree with telling people to not stop breeding
dogs
> with Multifocal retinopathy. Having lived with dogs with this condition it
> does impair the vision. It does not blind the dogs but it does cause some
> problems.>>

I am an advocate of eye clearances, and I do think we need to take
multifocal retinopathy seriously. As Linda suggested, I would also like
to see further study done to determine just what effect this disease has
on Pyr eyes and Pyr vision, both short and long term. Since there is no
real history of this disease in other breeds, we don't have a "model" to
rely on.

I certainly don't think it would be wise to breed two dogs affected with
this disease. But I'm not quite ready to jump on board with a blanket
"do not breed." At this point, I would consider this a "breeder option"
disease, and more information is needed. I would be willing to take that
position with PRA and juvenile cataracts, but I'm not *totally*
convinced on MR. However, I think it would be commendable if breeders
with stock affected with this disease made that decision.

BTW, Janice, since you had Sonny CERF'd, is there any indication if CERF
would give a clearance on this condition (I would guess not), and how
serious does the A&M opthalmologist consider it?

We need a lot more info on the subject of Pyrs and eye disease in
general.

Darrell Goolsbee
Fort Worth, TX