Re: [pyrnet] Pyr eyes

In a message dated 12/20/00 2:17:15 AM Pacific Standard Time,
dgg@star-telegram.com writes:

Offspring of a known carrier have a 50
percent probability of being carriers if the other parent is genetically
normal. Grandchildren of a known carrier have a 25 percent probability
of being carriers.

How do you ever get to the 25% or less if you never use any offspring of a
known dog carrier or affected?  Also in order to even identify the affected
dogs, much less the carriers you have to extensively test.

A lot of common sense must be used here, that combined with vigilance and
persistence.  Another way to look at it is 50% of offspring are not carriers
or will not develop the disease.  What in reality we will end up with is only
BYB, Puppy Mills, and Farm dogs being bred.  Don't think that is what this is
all about.  I do not recommend breeding any known carrier or affected dog.  I
recommend that any offspring that have a chance of being either are checked
very carefully and insist that all mating partners under go the same level of
scrutiny.  This will not be perfect but will result in a much better scenario
and eventual control of the condition.  Much better, IMHO, than ignoring the
problems, impugning those who are working openly, and quibbling about what is
important and what should be ignored or not.

Joe