Re: [pyrnet] Pyr eyes

In a message dated 12/20/00 11:14:14 AM Pacific Standard Time,
dgg@star-telegram.com writes:

Breeders can take that advice or not, but remember that PRA is a VERY
serious disease, much more serious than dwarfism, for example

I do not disagree about the very serious nature of PRA.  My remarks were
directed at Juvenile or late onset cataracts.  This condition (JC) rarely
leads to disability except some minimal in very late life i.e. 10 years or
so.  I speak only of Pyrs, I claim no knowledge of other breeds sequelae.  So
I would probably concur with PRA.  To me there is nothing more serious than
Dwarfism to the breed itself and that is not intended to diminish the serious
nature of PRA that you speak of.  It, Dwarfish, is much more serious as it
has infested the whole gene pool essentially, where PRA we might have a
change to limit it greatly with early education and an open honest provision
of information.

SAS sounds extremely bad as well and its inheritance mode of a problem.  What
is the feeling of knowledge presently out there on SAS puppy, if both parents
must be carriers?  Or can only one transmit the disease forward.  We really
do not understand the nature of the transmission and I have read it displays
both dominance and recessive qualities.