Re: [pyrnet] Pyr hearts

On 21 Dec 2000, at 8:05, JGentzel@aol.com wrote:
> SAS sounds extremely bad as well and its inheritance mode of a
> problem.  What is the feeling of knowledge presently out there on SAS
> puppy, if both parents must be carriers?  Or can only one transmit the
> disease forward.  We really do not understand the nature of the
> transmission and I have read it displays both dominance and recessive
> qualities.

And probably modifiers......  Breeding dogs need to be cleared with
dopplers and ONLY cleared dogs are used for breeding.  Once
you've produced a SAS puppy don't repeat the breeding.  A murmur
is not always heard or it's so faint only someone very good catches
it and a doppler catches an abnormality in left ventricular outflow
tract, and in these cases trivial SAS can't be ruled out.  It's almost
impossible to stop SAS.  Just talk to the newf breeders or golden
breeders or rottweiller breeders.  Heart checks and dopplers are a
must to keep it to a minimun.  There's enough cases known where
newfs have cleared heart checks and dopplers and upon a post
mortem shown to have SAS.  The only true hope is a DNA marker
being found.

Janice, janices@austin.rr.com
Lana & Linsey (newfs), Sonny (pyr)
http://home.austin.rr.com/janices