Re: [pyrnet] Recessives and carriers

In a message dated 12/20/00 2:39:40 PM Pacific Standard Time,
lmweisser@olywa.net writes:

Nonetheless, dilution is not possible.

With all due respect you are making this more than it really is.  You
"Presume" each dog in each subsequent generation is a carrier.  It may be
ultimately safe to peresume every dog is from every litter, subsequent to a
carrier is also a carrier, but it is not correct.  Our problem is we do not
know (many or most times) who is whom (boy I hope my English teacher is not
watching this).  The presemption is only that and when stating the
presemption of 50% going equally every generation, one needs to state that.
To do therwise might and will mislead some to make incorrect assumptions of
fact.  This is presumpition only and not fact.  Probability tells us clearly
that from generation "0" with the carrier to generation 1 it will be 50/50,
carriers Vs clear.  Generation 2 will be 25/75 carriers to clear.  Generation
3  will be 12.5/87.5 carriers to clear.  From what you are saying! any dog
with El Amour Bruno Balibasque in their pedigree has a 50/50 chance of
producing Dwarfs.  I don't think that is what you mean to say, as this is not
true.  There may and probably are a few dogs down the line that got the
carrier gene, but at 8 or 10 generations later you are talking only a very
small percentage wise.

Joe