Re: [pyrnet] Pyr eyes

In a message dated 12/20/00 12:02:21 PM Pacific Standard Time,
lmweisser@olywa.net writes:

I hear that over and over and I would dispute it as a statement of fact.

Give me the name of a dog who comes from a show breeding kennel and I will
bet you I can find a Dwarf carrier back there within 8 or 10 generations you
mention.  What I am saying is if you really believe the 50% always
probability, this is of such a high probability we should always inform our
puppy buyers.  If we really believe this, it is only fair and honest that we
do this.  This is one of those statistical areas that are misleading to the
lay person or the person with just a little knowledge.  While it might be
purely true making assumptions, probability wise it is wrong.  More
importantly it places wrong conceptual ideas in folks minds i.e. those
outside the world of statistics who would not understand the strict adherence
to their assumptions.

As far as the decrease of incidence in Malamutes using the recommended
breeding assessment, I was under the impression that they had much success
using the what is essentially a mathematical probability formula in
calculating the breeding potentials.  Much the same as Darrell quoted from
some experts on other conditions.  These things are out there and being used
by many.  I have Padgetts book and I will take a look at it.  I will also go
the Malamute resources and refresh myself on what I thought I had read
previously.

Joe