Re: [pyrnet] Pyr eyes

In a message dated 12/22/00 6:01:59 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
JGentzel@aol.com writes:

<< In a message dated 12/21/00 12:13:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
 lmweisser@olywa.net writes:

 > .  I'd rather have dwarfs
 > any day of the year than most of these others.

 I think thats where we part ways in a major area.  I cannot make that
choice.
  Sort of like picking your terminal disease.  Not an acceptable choice.

 Joe

I have to agree with Linda here.. I live with a dwarf, and l would much
prefer to deal with a "short" dog on a day to day health basis, then a dog
that may need hip surgery that is very expensive and without it would affect
that dog's quality of life, or a dog with an eye disease, or epilepsy, etc.
None of these are a "terminal disease" usually, although there are genetic
problems out there that are.
None of these dogs could effectively guard livestock. Can a HD dog run down
predators?  Can a blind dog see to guard, can a seizure dog be a reliable
guard?  In every litter, including those bred for livestock guarding
specifically, there are those that cannot guard - it is not always visual.
No dog is genetically perfect.  Do the best you can, and YES inform those who
buy  dogs from you of ALL the possible health risks in the pedigree and
always be honest.  To do less is a disservice to the breed.

Peggy Watson
pyrstaf@aol.com