Re: [pyrnet] Pyr eyes

In a message dated 12/20/00 12:02:21 PM Pacific Standard Time,
lmweisser@olywa.net writes:

Unfortunately that is simply not true for (as I said earlier) any single
individual animal.

I promised I would document my sources and information relative the use of
formulas to calculate percentages of change a particular dog would carry in a
breeding program used by Malamutes.  Please see the below.  It is info from
Linda Dowdy who has huge respect and represents what they describe as success
and outlines in quite a bit of detail the calculation, etc.

This is about the only valid way of proceeding except to eliminate all dogs
currently being bred (basically).  If you could find one not at any risk for
10 generations, who would you breed it to so as to insure that no carriers
went forward?

I would think we could and should benefit from success of others instead of
developing our own radical ideas based on assumptions and flawed logic.

Here is part of the quote from one section and the URL will follow:

<<Using the dog's pedigree, a statistical analysis was performed based upon
the number of ancestors that were either known carriers or closely related to
known carriers. The analysis yielded a number expressed as a percentage. This
number represented the dog's chances of being a recessive carrier of the
gene, based upon the configuration of ancestors. If the number exceeded
6.25%, the dog was considered to be in the "suspect" or "potential" category.
The value of 6.25% was selected because it represented one known carrier as a
great-great-great-grandparent and also corresponds roughly to a 95%
confidence level (04.37%).>>

There is much more as this is just a taste.

URL
http://www.minnesotamalamuteclub.com/testing.htm

Joe