Re: [pyrnet] Now dwarfism - (sorry long)

<< I am replying to you because you have access to the past GPCA
> bulletins and I
> believe that is where I read articles about dwarfism many years ago.>>

Not long ago, I got in a collection of Bulletins going back to 1973. I
have scanned through some, and they are really a wonderful record of Pyr
history. I have not yet completed the process of storing and recording
these, so I will keep an eye out for the articles you speak of.

<< I guess the point I am trying to make is - dwarfism is very very
> serious and
> maybe we are only hearing the reports of the ones who are not being
> put down
> at a couple of weeks of age due to serious problems.>>

Some breeders routinely put dwarfs down. Whether this is because of
health problems or they just don't want to deal with them, I have no
idea. If there are documented health problems, I wish they would be
reported and add to our body of knowledge.

However, of the dwarfs that are not put down and whose owners/breeders
care to report on them, the overwhelming weight of evidence is that,
except for hearing impairment/deafness, they are basically as healthy as
other Pyrs. I have seen/known a number of dwarfs, and that has been my
experience as well.

I have heard a number of people advance the argument that they fear
dwarfs will be selectively and deliberately bred for. At this time, I
don't see how that would be feasible. There is no evidence that dwarfs
can even be bred (a few attempted research test breedings have been
unsuccessful), and without that, only breeding carriers, the production
would be hit and miss. And besides that, who *really* wants a deaf or
hearing impaired dog? I suppose, theoretically, someone could, with
great effort, overcome these problems, but why bother when there are
easily available small to medium-sized white dogs, like American
Eskimos, for example, out there for puppy milling.

<<There are so many diseases that can be tested for and I rarely ever
see an ad that states for
> example:   Thyroid Normal.   I am glad to see OFA or Penn Hip ratings
> and
> hopefully we will see in future ads - that they are also cleared for
> Eye
> Diseases, Heart Diseases and any other inherit diseases out there.
>
> Wouldn't that be nice!>>

There are a number of diseases that could be screened for in puppies
before they go to their permanent homes. Among them are SAS and some eye
diseases, such as retinal dysplasia, multifocal retinopathy and, as Joe
points out, some early-onset cataracts. Whether any of these diseases
are prevalent enough in Pyrs to warrant this screening is up to breeders
to determine. It would especially be nice if any breeders who have had
these diseases in their lines did so.

Darrell Goolsbee
Fort Worth, TX