Re: [pyrnet] Pyr eyes (now dwarfism)

Joe - I really doubt that any reputable Malamute person would dare to compare
Malamute dwarfism with Pyr dwarfism.  Do you assume all dwarfs are blind
because Labrador dwarfs are usually blind?  Do you conside them all to have
poor coat quality because German Shepherd dwarfs have this trait?  There IS
no scientific literature that is in any way definitive on Pyrenees dwarf
health.  That is why we did the health survey.  Anyone is welcome to submit
information to that survey about dwarfs that they have, but what Darrell says
is correct - based on the 20+ dwarfs that we now have, their owners feel they
are basically healthy and require little if any veterinary care. That is a
fact.  Its not "scientific", but it is still a fact.
As a side note, the 4 long-time Malamute breeders that have met my dwarf have
all expressed the same thing - "Wow that looks nothing like the Mal dwarfs
I've seen."

Peggy Watson

In a message dated 12/22/00 10:56:45 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
JGentzel@aol.com writes:

<< n a message dated 12/22/00 9:23:16 AM Pacific Standard Time,
 dgg@star-telegram.com writes:

 > Most dwarfs are for the most part healthy, according to the survey of
 > owners done by the GPCA.

 Darrell, you need to read the scientific literature.  Subjective inventories
 say little.

 Here is some information from the Malamute information:

 MALAMUTE CHONDRODYSPLASIA (MC)"Chondro" or MC is apparently limited to
 Alaskan Malamutes. Commonly known as "dwarfism," it can give affected dogs a
 range of  conformation, particularly in the forequarters, from a very mild
 "Basset Hound" shape to severe deformity. Mode of inheritance is via a
simple
 recessive gene. Education and tracking efforts of the Alaskan Malamute Club
 of America have kept the incidence low. Fortunately the mono-genetic source
 and simple inheritance makes this condition ideal for isolation and
 screening.

 Notice they use the term "severe deformaty".  They do that for a reason. >>