Re: [pyrnet] Pyr eyes (now dwarfism)

----- Original Message -----
From: <Pyrstaf@aol.com>

I really doubt that any reputable Malamute person would dare to compare
Malamute dwarfism with Pyr dwarfism.  >>

In the early 90s when 'we" embarked on this dwarf issue, I spoke at length
with the AMCA Chondroplasia Committee rep for the NW.  She shared nothing
with me about "severe deformity" in Mal dwarfs and felt that the average
lifespan for dwarfs was somewhat shorter than for normals.  8 years as
opposed to 12.   She did not allude to any particular health issues,
including the deaf/hearing impaired issues that we see.  Since the lifespan
of mals seems similar to Pyrs, I look forward to Peggy's followup work on
the dwarf health project to see how long Pyr dwarfs are living and their
cause of death.

<<As a side note, the 4 long-time Malamute breeders that have met my dwarf
have
all expressed the same thing - "Wow that looks nothing like the Mal dwarfs
I've seen." >>

There does seem to be some marked difference between the 'average" Mal
dwarf and the "average" Pyr dwarf but it also seems that the Pyrs are more
markedly "dwarf" ish.  However, the diagnostic x-rays done at Pullman show
the same basic skeletal deformities.  Dwarism in Labs and some other breeds
is quite different.  Dr Sande at Pullman has a very interesting article
discussing all the different forms of dwarfism in various breeds.  And
Shepherds are putuitary dwarfs (as are Karelian Bear Dogs) which is an
entirely different thing.  Although still an autosomal recessive.

Linda