Re: [pyrnet] Now dwarfism - (sorry long)

----- Original Message -----
From: <M3A4E5@aol.com>

You are an authority on Ethical Breeders, what do you feel that they should
do? I defer to your opinion on epilepsy?>>

I'm not an authority, nor have I ever claimed publicly or privately to be
an "Ethical Breeder".  However, what should they do about epilepsy, from my
personal point of view?  Never, of course, breed a dog who has had an kind
of major idiopathic seizure.  Secondly if a dog that you have already bred
has such a seizure, immediately inform all buyers of the puppies.  If you
sell breeding potential dogs or use your dogs at stud and you know that
epilepsy has occurred in your lines or those behind your dogs, you have an
obligation to inform your buyers of that fact so that when or if they
decide to breed they are forearmed.

My point, of course, was that there are some major medical and genetic
problems for which no easy tests exist.  Also, I throw out the question of
what does a breeder do if dogs tested for all possible problems produce
such problems?  Where then?

Linda