[pyrnet] Deliberate Breeding for Dwarfs

Terry, Facts or no facts if someone irresponsibly wanted to
deliberately breed for Dwarfs they have the means to do so.
Certainly, no respectable breeder would do so because they are
"cute"! The general, reasonably good health of Dwarfs is a fact,
and to not make this knowledge public for the fear that someone
would deliberately breed for them for this reason, would be
putting emotion (fear) before scientific fact. It IS a genetic
anomaly. They are NOT "cute", they are "odd". Although Carolyn's
Ubu had the heart of a Great Pyr, and acted just like any male
Great Pyr, he was very odd looking. She loved him for who he was,
not what he was. I would venture to say that those who have bred
a litter with Dwarfs and who still have them or have placed them
in homes so that they may participate in the Dwarfism project,
know the difference, and understand just what they are and are
not. Those who produce Dwarfs and routinely euthanize them
because of the Dwarfism without including them in the Dwarfism
study are not helping the breed as a whole. The more we know, the
better. Holding back information because someone "might"
deliberately breed for Dwarfs because they "think" they are cute
is ridiculous!

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com