Re: [pyrnet] Pyrs without Dwarf producing ancestors

Janice,
The best way to start having things changed is to volunteer
to help rewrite pamphlets, bring the matter up at the
next National, and talk with board members now.  The
GPCA always needs more volunteers and new ideas.
As to the GDC, all pyr breeders whether they belong to the
GPCA or not need to send in their x-rays.
Kerry

GDC is good in theory, but when is the last time the GPCA buyer
education packet information been updated?  Should they have to
rely on breeder honesty which we know there are cases where that
doesn't happen.  How do they know they should be asking for eye
CERF, heart checks, hips, patellas, elbows, etc clearances?  The
average buyer cannot pick this up by osmosis and I can't say that
they all sit on the internet on these lists.  Check the code of ethics
and all that is referenced is disabling hereditary defects (tells them
nothing about which ones they should have knowledge of) and x-
rays for hip dysplasia.

Buyers need some resource to be able to ask informed questions
about health and it's the buyers that have to hold the breeders to
that standard.  If they're informed they can do that and maybe
some things would change in the breed and you would start seeing
more health clearances being done.

Janice, janices@austin.rr.com
Lana & Linsey (newfs), Sonny (pyr)
http://home.austin.rr.com/janices