[pyrnet] Re:

----- Original Message -----
From: cari a mccullough <tcrca@juno.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2000 4:13 PM
> firstly, how do respond when neighbors, extended family members, etc.
> react poorly to your having such a big dog and kids? i try to explain how
> gentle and loving pyr's typically are, but i am met with scepticism.
> these people think all big dogs are monsters! i have been the reciepient
> of many a rude comment.

     Let your dog be its own ambassador.  When they meet and get to know the
dog, their tune will most likely change.  Do keep in mind though, these dogs
are very intuitive, and if they sense someone does not like dogs, they may
well let you know it.

> secondly, what are your feelings on bark collars for pyrs? hubby and i
> have reciently installed an invisible fence and are in the process of
> training boone(our pyr) on it. i am concerned that because the fence and
> the collar emit the same warning beep, the dog will be confused. the
> company reps say that that will not happen, but i am sceptical.

     Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but historically, inviisible
fences are not effective with pyrs.  They may heed them for a bit, but  are
pretty headstrong when they chose to ignore it.  I have had this same
argument with a salesman who triied his best to sell me on it, and I told
him to find me a pyr successfully contained by it.  I told him in turn, I
would give him names of people in our vicinity it did not work for.  I never
heard back from him.  The bottomline with pyrs is, you need to put your
money into a real fence, and I suggest at least 6 ft high.  As for bark and
perimeter collars, know of none which have been successfully used on pyrs.
Sorry.
Nancy