[pyrnet] Large dogs & children

Cari,
    I know what you mean about the rude comments.  I always tell them that
the breed is known as the "Gentle Giants" and that they are absolutely
wonderful with children.  Then I pull out the photos and show how Bear
tolerates my kids, his kitty, and our neighbors and their children.
    The only thing that I worry about is one of the really little one's
being knocked down and stepped on while they are all playing.  Bear is big
with him being @100lbs and me being 180lbs he still gives me a good whop now
and again!!!!  Just keep an eye on everything while they play.
    One friend of mine didn't like coming over here and my sister-in-law
still won't come because I have inside animals.  I figure MY house, MY kids
(two-legged & four), MY RULES.  Someone posted something a while back that
said to the effect that "my house is made for me and my animals ~ if you
don't like it leave."  I know that's not exactly what it said but it was
something like that.  I really like that and Todd and I have talked about
having a plaque made to put on the front of the house.
    As for the barking and stuff.  I didn't bother with the collar.  Every
time Bear barks (and I can get up quick enough) I always ask him what he's
barking at and open the blinds, doors and the like.  I try to validate his
barking and he's learning that the kitties in his yard that aren't his kitty
are bad kitty-kitties.  He is soooo funny.  He sits on the stairs in the
living room entry so he can see out the glass in the door.  He'll run from
the front of the house to the back trying to get the kitties.
    I've also got him to where he "sings" with the church bells that go off
every hour starting at nine in the morning.  I'll keep telling him to "sing"
and he does for a while.  The bells ring for about seven minutes so that
gives him "his" time to bark.
    Of course we're now trying to explain that there's dogs barking and
kitties meowing and door bells that ring on the TV.  That is the funny one.
He knows what the TV is (I guess) because I touch it and tell him that what
it is and that's where the sound came from.
    He's lots of fun.  I'd rather him be inside than outside.  We have a
acre in the middle of town but because of people speeding and him maybe
wandering he and the kitty both only go out when we do and both are kept on
a leash (running leash).
    Good luck with the collar, fence, and the family and friends.

Bridget, Bear & Princess
Alabama Gulf Coast
kaiser4@gulftel.com