Re: [pyrnet] Re: Bites

Generally the term "parrot mouth" is used to describe a *severe* overbite.
The kind where, when you look at the front of the mouth, it's "hard" to see
the lower teeth.  Less severe overbites are just called overbites.  I think
that the term comes from horses.  Whatever, it is caused by the upper jaw
being much longer than the lower.  In general lower jaws grow for a longer
period of time than do uppers.  That's why many, many mild overbites
correct by the time the dog is 7 or so months. (parrot mouths almost never
do)  Why I'd rather have a slight overbite on a puppy than a dead level
bite or even a very tight scissors, which often end up going under, which
almost never corrects.

Be that as I may, the kind of treatment that Sharon describes is the most
often used if someone is worried about the canines going into the palate.

Linda