Re: [pyrnet] pet store pups

    Unfortunately we have this problem as well.  Many people think just
because they don't want to breed "show dogs" the quality of the dog doesn't
matter.  I try to get across that originally it was shepherd/farmers who
bred them but that they took it very seriously and knew the requirements for
a good working dog.  And of course that our standard is written for the
perfect guardian from the requirements of these shepherds and therefore
type, temperament, lines, etc. do matter.  Then, naturally, there are the
ones who just want to breed "pets" and think pet quality parents will be
fine.  I think the latter is somewhat harder to convince as the LGD breeders
at least want good workers.  Another thing that bothers me are the breeders
who seem to be into big, fluffy, "pretty" dogs and never give a second
thought to whether the dog could work if it had to.
    It is extremely frustrating and I wish I knew a better way to get the
message across to all involved.

Chrissy
West Union, WV
dsmith@iolinc.net