re: Re: [pyrnet] Housebreaking question

I have a male who we have had since he was 8 weeks, he is now almost 2. We
have tried everything to potty train him but no such luck.He will poop and
pee in my house all the time. Any suggestions?Julie

Hi,
Oh the challenges in housebreaking a Pyr. We also have a male that at first was NOT housebroken. Every time we would leave the house he would go...even if it was just for 10 mins. I had to do a reward system to get Emmett out of that one. We told him that he was a good dog, and then give him a treat.( We told him...your turn now.)  Then let him out, or we take him on a walk. So that it seemed like it was his turn out.
Give a dog a bone to keep him home...became our motto.
We give Emmett a bone, or a chew outside if we think that we are going to be gone too long, but too long for Emmett is 5 mins...lol That way he has something to do while we are gone, and does not become bored. I do not do crates. But they have been effective for others.
Hope this helps,
Merri, Emmett(Pyr) & Melvin (GS,GR)

Mer