Re: [pyrnet] Shelters and Breeders (was: shelters)

Judith, Honestly, No "I" don't think they are.  They certainly have the
potential to be as they seem to growing in spite of attempts to shut them
down.  And now judging from that last auction that made the lists, they
are pulling down AKC breeds with Championships, to "appear" to be
improving quality.  I do think they produce the worst of what rescue has
to deal with.

I honestly feel ( just my opinion please remember ) that the biggest
problem is the guy who buys from a good breeder, gets some basically good
quality dogs, and starts breeding.  They join the clubs, get on the
lists, do all the right things, except take the responsibility for what
they produce.  The dogs may not even be bad in and of themselves,
although the people are not breeding because they know what they are
breeding for.  Certainly good, show quality dogs actually come from some
of these litters.  I am sure we have all met some of them in the ring.
They just breed and sell and make some bucks.  They don't pay for the
testing, they are not concerned for the genetics, a lot of them probably
get antsy when they have to feed them too long, or keep up with
inoculations.  They want them out on or before they hit 8 weeks ( too
big, cost too much to keep, cutting in to the profits, and are getting
frisky and troublesome ).  Have never taken the time to learn about pups,
how they learn and relate from their siblings and Mother, and what
emotional problems they may be starting the dogs out with because of
their "early out monetary plan".  I think there are far more of those
people adding to the population.  Not backing up what they sell, sure
don't want the dogs back, and keep turning them out.  I always wonder, if
people were not allowed to breed dogs, how many would have them?  Just
musing!

I don't have stats, I don't know for sure, this has been the feeling I
have gotten through a lifetime of dogs.  It is just my opinion as I have
said before.  :-)  Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas