Re: [pyrnet] Shelters and Breeders (was: shelters)

On 24 Jan 01, at 12:55, darrell goolsbee wrote:

> Here in TX, though, by far the biggest source of our overwhelming rescue
> numbers is livestock producers who consider their dogs just another cash
> crop. For the most part these are not puppy mills in the sense we think
> of. More like the livestock producer got the Pyrs to protect his stock and
> then says, why not just have some puppies to sell, too.

The same here in NM, along with some town BYB adding to the mess.

> Of course, most of these dogs, say 20-25 years ago, started out from
> dogs from good breeders. But we are generations beyond that now.

This is certainly the truth.  Conformation and temperament are a long
way from the standard in the majority of rescues we see.   Because of
the influx of the poorly bred pyr there is a whole generation of
folks out there that have no idea what a well bred pyr is really
supposed to be!

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico