Re: [pyrnet] Shelters and Breeders (was: shelters)

Joe, thanks for a wonderful and informative letter.  I did know that it
was a problem, obviously, living so close to it in my area.  I did not
realize the extent.

I have always spent a great deal of time trying to get past the notion
with people that "show type dogs" have lost the ability to work.  I have
in fact ,seldom actually seen that to be the case.  This is especially
true in the case of the ancient breeds, where the inherited traits are so
strong born out of thousands of years.  Even without that though, most
dogs I have seen, when given the chance ( and maybe a coat shave ), fall
back into what they were bred for pretty easily.

Unfortunately with the ranch type breeding, I've always been left with
the feeling that the dogs are not bred to succeed in what they do, but
rather to be so plentiful and cheap as to be easily replaced when they
can't do the job they were intended to do.  Just my opinion of course!
:-)
Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com