Re: [pyrnet] Shelters and Breeders (was: shelters)

In a message dated 1/25/01 12:47:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dgg@star-telegram.com writes:

Hate to be pessimistic, but in a very real sense, we have "lost" the
battle in this area to the LGD producers.

I totally agree with Darryl, but do not agree it is hopeless.  We must
establish relations with the large farm groups like the dairy Goat folks etc.
 You know, they are really good folks and many of them really understand
showing their animals as many of them do so.  They take great pride in what
they do and the livestock they produce.  We have a common dialog and they
will understand us wanting to preserve the original nature of our unique
breed.  This can only be a positive, but only if we do it.  Besides all out
dogs must be working dogs or capable anyway or they are not worthy of being a
good Pyr.  Pyrs are one of the oldest working dogs on the face of this good
green earth.  It must always be so, or we no longer have Pyrs. They must also
look and act like a Pyr or we do not have a Pyr.  There are many excellent
LGD that are not Pyrs, so our uniqueness is our temperament and working
ability and style.  The almost non existent prey drive.  The quiet laid back
character that causes our dogs to fail most working dog assessment
evaluations until placed on site doing its job and demonstrate that none do
it any better.  The dignity tolerance and loyalty of our dogs is quire
remarkable.

I am guilty as many in the past on being only interested in shows and wins
and breeding good puppies by the standard.  That's no longer is the case.  I
want to do all those things but I must feel quite conformable that my dogs
will work in the same centuries old tradition as its ancestors going back
thousands of years ago.

In order to combat the working dog breeders we must join they in dialog and
education.  Let them see us as not some useless beauty pageant or "hotty
tottie" group of prima donnas.  That is what we are to them now.  If they
understand us and appreciate our love for the uniqueness of the original
dogs, they will certainly take pride in the beauty and functional
characteristics of the dogs we breed in preference to the shabby ones they
may now be breeding.  I have to keep remembering that the old Shepherds in
the Pyrenees Mountains took great pride in the beauty of their dogs.  But you
have to know that times were more than hard and if the dog did not earn its
keep, the beauty would have meant nothing and been useless to them.  Our
working breeders are here with us to stay, so lets try to educate them to the
charms of the correct Pyr. If someone knows a better way than through the
various organizations that these folks register their stock and show their
stock under, lets hear it.  Otherwise this seems like a no brainier to me.

Joe