Re: [pyrnet] BARF

    Just something I've heard, didn't want to take any chances.  :)  But
since Tracy said her dogs are fine with it and has a point about the
shepherds in the Pyr Mts. (message below), I'll feed 'em whatever I can get.
:)

Chrissy

> Legit question here, no sarcasm intended.  Is there a real reason  to
> think that if a dog eats a killed, skinned, cut up, chicken, lamb, goat,
> etc. he will really develop a taste for the living thing?  I often give
> hunks of cooked chicken, but I have never seen them express a sudden
> interest in the chickens.  Granted your feeding raw, but is this a legit
> consideration or an old wives tale?   Especially since I heard that it
> was not unusual for LGD's to eat dead lamb, kid ,etc. to keep other
> predators away from the flock.  Whats the thought here?  Cindy
>
> Cindy Henke
> clhenke@juno.com
> Ennis, Texas
>
> "All knowledge, the totality of all questions and answers, is contained
> in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka

IMO I wouldn't worry about feeding lamb to your Pyrs.  Lamb is very cheap
and plentiful here and my dogs get it a couple of times a week at least.
They are fine around my live sheep and goats.  Think of it this way - if the
shepherds in the Pyrenees were going to be giving their dogs meat and bones,
what would they be giving them?  Something that was readily available to
them?

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au