[pyrnet] Health Seminar at the 2001 National Specialty

The GPCA Health Committe is very pleased to announce that Dr. Jerold Bell
will be presenting a seminar on genetics, genetic disease, and breeding at
Andover on the evening of Wed May 2. 2001.  The seminar will run from 7-10
pm and have time for Q & A.

Dr Bell is Clinical Assistant Professor of Genetics at the Tufts University
School of Veterinary Medicine.  He is a world renowned geneticist and
researcher as well as having a private practice and, with his wife, a
breeder of Gordon Setters.  Dr Bell identified the genetic marker for
storage disease in Portugese Water Dogs.  This is a neurological defect
that results in early death for all affected dogs.  Since Dr Bell's work,
all Porties are blood tested for carrier status.

Dr Bell plans to specifically address issues of Pyr genetics and to that
end he has requested our Health Survey report and the breed database from
Compuped.  He has also allowed us to video tape the seminar and that video
will be available from the committee.

Thanks to the incredible generosity of our club members, there will be no
charge to attend Dr Bell's seminar.  I admit to having an "agenda" here but
I hardly think that anything will happen in Andover that week that will be
more important than this.

If you will be in Andover, please plan to come.  I will guarantee that you
will learn at least something and perhaps a great deal.

Linda Weisser
Co-chair GPCA Health Information Committee
Olympia WA USA
lmweisser@home.com