Re: [pyrnet] LGD breeders (was Shelters and Breeders)

Terry, GSD are new comers by comparison to the ancient breeds.  While
they are derived from older breeds I think they as a recognized breed
only really come about in the 1800's.  Also called upon to do many more
things in their short creation time.  They were herders to start, but
have changed dramatically from what they were created for, both in looks
and personality.  Pyrs. are definitely considered to be among the
ancients, and their job has changed little.  While I agree with you on a
lot of the problems in GSD's, it is a breed that being very recent is
subject more to the whims of current fancy.  That said, I think there are
a good many breeders who still can and do breed a legitimate, functioning
GSD.  The deal about buying dogs from overseas and their dogs being so
much better seems to be more trendy than true!  I'm not saying some are
not, I just think a lot of it is over rated. IMO  Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka