RE: [pyrnet] LGD breeders (was Shelters and Breeders)

> I have goats and two Pyrs.  Here's what I was told when I was buying them:
>   a.. Conformation breeders want looks and body structure as much as they
> want LGD performance.
>   b.. Since they must keep the dogs clean and well-socialized, leaving
them
> out in the barn with the goats from birth is not an option.

Sorry -- I don't buy this.  Our first Pyrs were purchased as companions and
livestock guardians.  Then we decided to show.  At our first show, we were
introduced to a male, already a champion, that was quite the beauty.  While
talking with the owner, we learned that the day before, he had been out
working -- he was successful at both roles.  So YES -- a dog "bred for
conformation" can do both jobs.  Equally, just because a dog is raised with
livestock doesn't mean that they are totally suitable to guard.  Our oldest
male came from a huge farm (when we picked him out he was surrounded with
sheep and goats, where he had been since shortly after he was born).  He is
probably one of the worse LGDs you'd want to meet.  He just doesn't have
any interest in guarding -- unless it's the sofa <G>.

Also, "conformation" should include type and temperment, which are equally
important in the field as in the show ring.  A dog with poor conformation
(or health problems, or poor temperment) would be just as unsuitable in the
field trying to work, as it would be in the show ring.

--- Robyn Allwright
--- ziffanyrobyn@earthlink.net
--- Ziffany Great