Re: [pyrnet] LGD breeders

> Dalmatians suffer from deafness as a result of breeding for "SPECIFIC"
spot
> patterns. The Breed Standard does not require any specific spot pattern.
AKC
> Show Judges were putting up dogs based on their preference for specific
spot
> patterns irrespective of The STANDARD. Show Breeders started breeding for
> those specific spot patterns, and now the breed suffers because of that.
Do
> you disagree?

Then shouldn't the AKC require better education of their show judges? (And
BTW -- it's not just in AKC shows, as there are other judging organisations
out there, and they are equally to blame).  I can appreciate how difficult
it can be to breed and show a "correct" dog, when have the dogs being shown
are designed to fit the current "fancy" of the public.  This is happening
in pyrs, just as much as it is in other breeds, unfortunately.  Judges are
"human" (yes, much to many of our disbelief <G>).  It's a shame they don't
judge dogs like they do goats -- the judge gives a verbal explaination for
his/her placement decision.

--- Robyn Allwright
--- ziffanyrobyn@earthlink.net
--- Ziffany Great Pyrenees